Sunday, January 24, 2010

cool paper

When people think of coolness, they may ask themselves how do I appear as cool to others. How would the rest of the world react to me, will I even appear as cool? I think appearance is a very important factor when it comes to being cool . Although cool can have many different meaning to different groups and people , a person that want to be viewed as cool will try to appear as cool to everyone . So people will do things such as dress to part, act how they feel people think they should, get body pricings as well as tattoos, take drugs and drink alcoholic barrages and participate in dear devil activities to be able to prove their coolness. Your idea of cool isn’t something you are born with, over time you people make up their own mean of cool from the things they are surround by. Things such as your house hold, were you living and the group or groups of people you surround yourself with. People take cool as a way to feel in control because everything around them is controlled , cool gives you the chance to make your own identity .

People often dress in the way they will like to be indentify . when a person want to come off the are “gangster” and make people think they are not once to be messed with, they will wear their jeans off their butt so they can sag. When a person want to come off as a person that has respect and will like to be respected they will wear their pants up on their butt. For example I know guys that wear their pant off their butt when they are going to school or hang out with their friends at the movies or a party, but when they go into a job interviews or a place where they are wearing dress paints they will wear their paints up on their butt with a belt to make sure they won’t fall down. The only thing to be identified by cool isn’t the way a person dresses, now of day’s the coolest person will have a tattoo. Tattoos are something that everybody wants if they don’t already have. It’s a way to express who you are by picture or words on your body. Most of the people that are look up to now of days have tattoos, rock stars, rappers, r and b singer as well as athletic , what makes them cool is the fact that they are always in the media . Mostly everything in the media is looked at as cool. I’m even a victim of think that tattoos can make a person seem cooler, it seems like lately every boy that I’m interested in has tattoos. At first it wasn’t something I didn’t looked for it just so happened but know one of my first question when I meet a guy is “do you have a tattoo or tattoos?” and if they say yes it seems like the biggest turn on. John fanning say’s “I got my first tattoo not trying to be cool I got it to be a rebel” because he grown up in a place where everyone was the same having your own identity was the hardest part”. People get tattoos of important moments in their lives good or bad, of thing that changed their life or of moments they don’t want to forget but when they look at the tattoo they will always remember the story behind it. R and B singer Riana got a tattoo of a gun after being beat by ex boyfriend Chris Brown; it was a moment in her life she would never forget so she “tatted it”. John Fanning also said “when I was in a punk rock band tattoos seem to be a part of the live", people get tattoo's get because they feel that is what they have to do to fit in to their group. I have noticed that a lot of football and basketball player as will has punk, rap, and R and B stars have tattoos, mean while a lot of models or actors do not have them. This show how people choose to identify them self it also show s that groups of people have different views on cool .

Self identity also have to do with were a person comes from and what they are surrounded by . If a person is surrounded by a lot of negative influences in most cases they will come out very negative . On the other hand if a person is surrounded by positive influences in most cases they will turn out to be more positive. For example every one think making a lot of money is cool, but If a person comes from a place where people do not work and they like to make money the fast way (selling drugs) . They will view that as cool and something they will like to do because they weren’t taught any better. A person that was surround by that way of live , will find skipping school then soon dropping out of school and starting to sell drugs to make money as the cooler way to live. On the other hand a person that is surround by people who want to college and after college found great job as a cool thing and they will want to walk in those people footsteps , because they will view that as the right way to do thing then that will come off as cool because at the end of the day they are making money. In class Andy was making great point s even though at first I felt a little offended , he said “ Most black men do not graduate from high school, the often end up going to jail or turn to selling drugs”. At first I was trying to find any way to be able to disagree with him and have strong arguments to back up what I want to say, because I’m black and I felt every time he made a statement like that every on in the class will look over to me and the one other black female in the class. I could not find any way to disagree with Andy , because what he was saying was true. He didn’t say all black were people because he knows like I know there some black people that graduated from high school and became very successful in college as well as in there cares. People get their views of cool form the people and things they see everyday .

People often act as charters out of a movie, always playing the role they are giving throughout real life. People may view this as fake when they see the person go from playing one role to playing the next when they are surround by different people. I feel this is where “cool” comes in. In one group they may need to you step up and became the leader , and within that group your identity is the leader , but when you hang out with a different group they may need you to be more laid back and let someone else be the leader . It don’t make you fake your just playing the role you was giving . During A class talk Andy mad a very good point , if a person is in a group were everyone is playing the bad boy role the person will play the bad boy role, to be seen as cool . Your identify with the role you are giving you pick the one you feel is the most you and you with it . People are often afraid to step out of their boxes and try playing a new role because they are afraid they won’t fit in. For example I been hang out with the same group of friends since the six grade because I know that I’m accepted in that group and we are all black . I know there are a few white girls in my class that I could be best friends with but I don’t try because I don’t know how they well react or if they well accept me. So I stay in the group I feel I fit into.

The point of my paper was to show how important identity is when it comes cool. It can be using it to find out your true identity or using cool to give you identity . Being cool is important to everyone although many like myself may try not to show it . Every one want to be looked at as cool by some body.

No comments:

Post a Comment